land is language:language is life / Yolsentlalistli
A side event of the UNPFII 22
April 27, 2023 (9:30am-12:00)
Live and via Zoom webinar (Registration below)
- American Indian Law Alliance
- Anahuacalmecac (Semillas)
- Gabrielino Shoshone Nation of Southern California
A dialogue on the resurgence of indigenous language reclamation in transnational urban and educational contexts as a response to the climate crisis and colonization.
Practitioners, educators, students, and language experts will discuss how one school has framed indigenous resurgence education for over 20 years emerging today with principles and practices rooted in Indigenous epistemological and pedagogical Nahuatl theory across Uto-Nawa linguistic ecosystems, landscapes and territories centered in Gabrielino Shoshone Nation of Southern California traditions and territories.
Four Seeds : One Story
- Chief Ya’anna Village: Land is Language – Gabrielino Shoshone Nation Territories and Rematriation (Discussants: Gabrielle Rocha Crowe and Nicholas Rocha, Co-chiefs of the Gabrielino Shoshone Nation Tribal Council, Facilitator: Jamie Rocha, Tribal Councilmember and Program Coordinator of the Anahuacalmecac American Indian Teacher Fellowship)
- Tuatukar Ecocultural Center for Indigenous Regeneration: Language is Life (Discussants: Minnie Ferguson, Director of Education of Semillas Sociedad Civil/ Anahuacalmecac, Youth Delegation Focal Points and Tuatukar EcoCultural Center Yolsentlapixkeh (EcoSystem Guardians): Axayacatzi Kuauhtzin and Malinalli Diaz)
- Learning in Nahuatl: Mexikatlahtolli from Xinachkalmekak to Xinachkalko (Discussants: Minnie Ferguson, Marcos Aguilar, Executive Director of Semillas Sociedad Civil/Anahuacalmecac, Project Director of the American Indian Resurgence Initiative and Teacher Fellowship, Victorino Torres Nava, Nahuatl Linguist, Author, Anahuacalmecac Educator and commissioner of the National Nahuatl Language Commission of Mexico)
- Youth Voices and Visions: Beyond a Decade, WeSpeak and a Time for Tomorrows (Discussants: Jamie Rocha and Salma Perez, Coordinator of the Anahuacalmecac “WeSpeak” Indigenous Youth Language Justice Project
Event languages: Nahuatl, Gabrielino, English and Spanish (limited simultaneous interpretation available)
When: Apr 27, 2023 09:30 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Topic: land is language:language is life (yolsentlalistli)
Register in advance for this webinar
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.